The following notes are a simplified summary
1. SPECIAL NOTES FOR OCDX 2020
- OCDX starts and finishes 2 hours earlier than usual this year: the OCDX 2020 Phone and CW contests run from 0600z Saturday until 0600z Sunday.
- Observe the COVID-19 laws, regulations and guidance that apply in your situation.
- SWLs please note: a given ‘station being worked’ callsign can only appear in up to 3 consecutive QSOs on a single band, so you can’t simply monitor a single transmitting station, logging everyone he works for hours on end! Please check rule 7g carefully.
- Only one plaque or trophy will be awarded per entry. For example, a station winning a continent plaque will not also receive the country award – it will go to the runner-up instead.
Phone contest: 06:00 UTC Saturday 3 October to 06:00 UTC Sunday 4 October 2020
CW contest: 06:00 UTC Saturday 10 October to 06:00 UTC Sunday 11 October 2020
These are separate contests on successive weekends: feel free to enter either … or both!
- OCDX promotes HF contacts to and from stations in the Oceania region as well as contacts between stations inside Oceania
- Oceania transmitting entrants contact as many stations as possible, anywhere in the world.
- DX transmitting entrants contact as many Oceania stations as possible.
- Oceania SWLs copy and log as many contest stations as possible, anywhere in the world.
- DX SWLs copy and log as many contest stations in Oceania as possible.
4. BANDS and SCORING
|Points per QSO||20||10||5||1||2||3|
- The Phone and CW contests are scored separately.
- Prefixes are multipliers (e.g. N8, W8, WD8, HG1, HG19, KC2, OE2, OE25, LY1000, VK2 …) on each band on which you work them.
- For multiplier purposes, prefixes and callsigns without numbers are notionally assigned a zero e.g. PA/N8BJQ counts as PA0, and XE/KT5W counts as XE0. All callsigns should however be logged as sent.
- Maritime mobile, mobile, /A, /E, /J, /P, or interim license class identifiers do not count as prefixes.
- Special event, commemorative and other unique prefix stations are welcome.
- The total score is the (sum of the Contact Points) multiplied by the (sum of the Multipliers).
- Transmitting Single Operator:
- QRP (SO QRP) 5 watts
- low power (SO LP) 100 watts
- high power (SO HP) the lesser of license limit or 1500 watts
- Transmitting Multiple Operators
- Single Transmitter (M1)
- Two Transmitters (M2)
- Multiple Transmitters (MM)
- Short Wave Listener (SWL)
- DXcluster assistance is permitted in all categories, with the usual restrictions (see the full rules for details)
- Entries on individual bands are supported.
- World Stations operate in a separate category to Oceania stations
6. CQs and EXCHANGES
- Participants typically call “CQ Oceania” on phone, and “CQ OC” on CW.
- Contest exchanges are signal reports plus a serial number, starting at 001.
- Be careful to log callsigns and reports accurately, especially multipliers, since typos can be costly.
- If someone does not send you a serial number, log them as serial number 001.
- To help the adjudicators cross-check other entrants’ logs, please log every completed QSO:
- Log zero-point QSOs (e.g. if DX stations work other DX stations)’
- Log any duplicate QSOs’
- Single band entrants: log your QSOs made on all bands (the Cabrillo header tells us which band you are entering)’
- If you participate but choose not to enter, a checklog would be welcome for the same reason.
7. SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
- The OCDX contests are adjudicated electronically, hence we need your electronic logs.
- If possible, use contest logging software to generate a Cabrillo file, then upload it using the on-line submission form.
- Otherwise please use the online form or some other means to generate a valid plain text column-aligned Cabrillo file, then upload that.
- Provided you made less than 50 contacts, you can mail in a legible paper log with a summary sheet (see the official rules for details).
- Get your log in before November!
- Every submitted entry will be checked and given a final score as part of the adjudication process … but naturally you are welcome to calculate your claimed score and hope that’s close!
- A veritable profusion of certificates, trophies and plaques will be awarded.
- Please email the Committee at email@example.com if you have any problems entering.
- Good luck!